2009年5月29日 星期五

Creativity vs Collocation

Three days ago, to decide on which magazine for next semester's frehsmen to use, I listened to three English magazine programs: Live, English For You, and Ivy League Enjoy English, skipping Studio Classroom because I'd been very familiar with what its lesson is like. Then I heard a wonderful phrase in Live, "to design his way to success." On hearing it, I marveled at the creative way of putting "design" and "way"together, vividly presenting the image of architecture.

However, just now I keyed in the phrase in the Google bar, only to find 2 entries for “design his way to success,” 5 for “designs his way to success,” and none for “designed his way to success.” Here comes the question: When students write this kind of phrase, should we teachers give it the thumbs up for the creativity or the thumbs down for it breaking from the collocation rule?

Personally, I like students to create.

沒有留言:

張貼留言