2011年3月4日 星期五

Teaching That-clause--Yesterday's Entry

20110303 Blog Entry

My net connection has some problem this evening, so I can’t write my entry in my blog. However, I can still write on a Microsoft word sheet. 

In today’s class, I discuss with Class 309 nominal that-clause as the appositive of a noun preceding it. The following is an example sentence I gave:

e.g1. The fact that the earth is round cannot be denied. 

Then we compare it with a similar sentence where that-clause is used as an adjective clause; that is, a relative clause:

e.g2. The fact that the book reveals cannot be denied. 

It seems confusing. However, it becomes easier once students know when the part after the word “that” is not a complete clause, then the that-clause is an adjective clause, where “that” functions as either a subject or an object. Usually, the word “that” can be replaced by “which.” On the other hand, the part after “that” in the nominal that-clause is always a complete clause where “that” only serves as a conjunction, not a pronoun. 

Then I showed several sentences on PowerPoint for students to decide whether the that-clause is a noun clause or an adjective one. To my joy, the students did quite a good job.

P.S. Attached is this entry typed on Microsoft Word yesterday. 

20110303 Blog Entry.doc

沒有留言:

張貼留言