2010年10月19日 星期二

Holding on to the Dream

Yesterday when Annie (詹麗馨老師) told me about the story of Paulo Coelho, the author of the international best-seller The Alchemist, mentioned in the book The Element, I was speechless. Then today I sped up my reading of the book. Finally in Chapter 6 I read the story. Again, I was overwhelmed.

As a teenager, Paulo Coelho set his mind to become a writer. However, he was confronted with an obstacle to his dream. His parents strongly disapproved of his plan; instead, they wanted him to be a lawyer. To drive the crazy idea out of his mind and get him to "the right track," they even sent him to a mental institution where he received electroshock therapy. Despite the intervention from his parents, Coelho took firm steps on his path to writing and eventually became a world-renowned writer.

Without Coelho's dogged determination and persistence, we would not have been inspired by such a powerful sentence as "When you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

Yes, the universe was on his side.

沒有留言:

張貼留言