2010年4月29日 星期四

Two Meaningful Grammar Practices

In today's class, we came to Grammar Focus in Unit 6. The first pattern is S + be made + to V. To help students get familiar with the form and function, I did the following activity:

 First, I ordered a student to do something. Then the other students told me what he/she was made to do. The order I gave are as follows:

1. Smile.

2. Get out of the room.

3. Drag x out of the room. "Drag" is a new word in this unit.

4. Sing a song.

The second sentence pattern is "S + be + being + V-en," or the present/past progressive passive. First I introduced how the pattern is formed:

Progressive:                 be +  Ving

Passive                                      be +      V-en

---------------------------------------------

Progressive passive: be + being + V-en

Then, to make the form meaningful, I asked the students to imagine what was going on in the outside world while we were having class. To accelerate the pace, I gave them the subjects, such as many children, some cars, the debris on the freeway, a lot of food, etc. The students gave sentences like

1. Many children are being beaten.

2. Some cars are being repaired.

3. The debris on the freeway is being removed.

4. A lot of food is being eaten.

The above two activities helped the students relate what they'd learned to their real life.

沒有留言:

張貼留言