2012年9月21日 星期五

To Take a Gap Year in Australia

This afternoon, I had a gathering with two 309 students who graduated from NHSH last year.   When they were still in school, we didn't have much time to chat, either because they were occupied with their studies, tests, or socialization or because I was busy dealing with other students.  I'm happy that we finally found time to catch up on what we had missed.  One of the girls is going to have a working holiday in Australia in October.  To my surprise, she wants to experience working on a farm instead of waiting on guests in a restaurant, though her English is good enough for her to be a waitress. She told me she didn't want to always stay in the comfort zone.  Seeing her face radiant with anticipation, I knew she is ready for the completely independent life in the Down Under.

Many parents would not give the green light to their children going work alone in a foreign country at the age of 19.  They would rather their children studied in their hometown before the children land their first job. However, life is long.  To take a gap year won't do any harm indeed.  Instead, through some observation, exploration, and contemplation, one is more likely to discover what they really love.

My girl, you have my best wishes.  Take care.

沒有留言:

張貼留言