2009年3月31日 星期二

Reading

Gina (胡靜), a student in Class 314, is reading Stephenie Meyer's Twilight.  She told me that often she dared not open the book for fear that once she started reading, she couldn't stop.  However, I encouraged her to read a few pages every day for entertainment, which at the same time improves her English reading ability.

When students ask me if they need to look up words they don't know while reading, I always gives a negative answer, unless their purpose is to expand their vocabulary.  Even so, I still tell them to keep reading until they finish one chapter before they look up some new words they have underlined while reading.  In fact, sometimes we can "learn" the meanings of some words from the context.  That's part of the fun of reading--we can have a guessing game. 

沒有留言:

張貼留言