2009年3月6日 星期五

If--A Beautiful Song

This morning, as promised yesterday, I taught Class 314 the song "If."  
Yesterday when we came to the word "launch,"  I sang a line from the song:  "If a face could launch a thousands ships, then where am I to go."  Of course they asked me and I explained why a face could launch ships.   Then they sang the line with me.  Tze-chiang (徐子強) suggested we sing the whole song.  Not having the CD at hand, I said I would let them sing the song next time we met.
In fact, I've let them listen to the song once last semester when we discussed the subjunctive mood.  But pressed for time then, we didn't sing.   
Today we met again.  I was very happy to teach them such a beautiful song.  I even printed the lyrics on purple paper.  To save paper, a piece of A4 paper was divided into four sheets.  So I used only 10 pieces of paper.  Then to make the best of the paper, I put some inspiring words on the back.  The words are from a bookmark  I bought long time ago.  I've lost the bookmark, but still keep the words in my computer. 
When the students got the lyrics, some girls admired the beautiful paper.  I told them that's for a beautiful song.  We listened to it once, and sang it twice before we continued with Unit 3.  As we sang, as usual, I was enchanted by the beautiful melody, words, and of course, the voice of The Bread.
 Amazingly, during the 1st break time in the afternoon, Yen-ju (賴晏如), a student in Class 314, came to me and showed me her Chinese translation of the lyrics.  She told me the song was so beautiful that she couldn't wait to translate it into Chinese.  Her translation is fantastic!  I'd like to put it on my blog:
I found the song at YouTube. It doesn't sound 100% like the one I have on the CD, which was sung by the Bread. However, it's quite close. What I like about it is that it comes with the lyrics.
The following is the video from YouTube, followed by Yen-ju's translation.

 

若一張畫能描繪出千言萬語,
那麼為何我描繪不了你?
這些文字永遠無法述說出
我所認識的你。
若一張臉能夠使千船齊發,
那麼我該何去何從?
除你之外我無以為家
你是我唯一的所有
而當我對生命的愛漸漸乾涸
你便來到,傾注自身所有 灌溉我
若一個人能同時出現在兩地
那麼我會在你身旁
無論何時,常伴你左右。
若世界停止運轉,
緩緩地迎向死亡,
那麼當最後的時刻來臨,
我要與你共赴。
而當星星一顆顆地隱沒以後
你將與我一同飛往遠方。
 
 

沒有留言:

張貼留言