2014年12月30日 星期二

Reconnection with LANN

Last night, I was so touched and exhilarated by the responses to two of my previous blogs, especially the one to the entry posted on August 20th, 2012.

http://june.ettachou.com/2012/08/20/a-life-changing-sentence/comment-page-1/#comment-440157

The response, sent on December 27, was from a former student I taught at Chieh-show Junior High around 25 years ago. From the sender's name LANN and the fluent English, I guess it was Brian, which needs to be confirmed.

The response goes as follows:

 

LAANsays:

"It has been 25 years. I will never forget the care you gave to us, and to me especially during those school years. I have kept your letters and postcards that you wrote to me from America through all these years. They were the little comfort I had whilst I was having the darkest period of my life: the teenage angst. Each time when the letter came through the post, it was as if my life were renewed just when it was about to be extinguished. How little did I know that it was your struggle too! What I did not realise at the time was that they were as important to you as were to me. When I re-read them 8 years ago, I could not help but wept. It could not have been easy. Indeed, it must have been one of the toughest decisions you ever had to make in your life. Just as I had to go through the same myself nearly 20 years ago. And boy, how tough it is to be studying alone overseas.

I will always be indebted to you, for the encouragement, compassion and selflessness you have given to us, and to me personally. I still remember the day I played baseball with your son in the backyard that day. I could only wish that I could have done more of that before I left the country all those years ago. I have always missed the piano you had played for me on that special day. I hope I will be able to see you before I depart again. Even with 100 kudos I will not be able express the depth of gratitude for your dedication and love."

 

As I read the message, I felt my heart melting, all my thoughts back to 25 years ago, to those days when a junior high school boy placed tons of trust on me, his English teacher. It amazed me that after 25 years, he can still remember what happened then, even the details. In my response to LANN, I could not say much since I was not very sure about who I was writing to. But if it is really Brian, there are so many memories we shared that we can have a marathon chat to review them.

My response:

adminsays:

"Hi, LAAN,

Your comments surprised and touched me! You’re Brian, aren’t you? After so many years, you found this article online in the sea of information. You must have tried very hard! Sorry for not finding and approving your comments two days ago.

You have such a great memory! To tell the truth, I don’t remember playing the piano for any student 25 years ago. Shame on me!  (Sorry for my forgetfulness.) However, I always remember how happily I got along with my students. And the memory of our frequent correspondence when I was studying in the States is always there in my heart.

How have you been and how’s everything going with you? You said you are going to depart again. Where are you to and when ? This is my email address:  june0626@gmail.com if you find it easier to tell me your story via email. And please give me your phone number via email. We can set a time for a gathering on the phone.

Really happy that we could get reconnected. This wouldn’t have happened without your effort. Thank you for writing to me. Thank you!"

 

LANN, if you read this entry, please send me a mail soon. We have so much to catch up on.

沒有留言:

張貼留言