2011年12月20日 星期二

ICRT & News about Jin Yong Receiving an Honorary Doctoral Degree

On my drive home this evening, I heard an ICRT report on Jin Yong, a renowned martial arts novelist, receiving an honorary doctoral degree from National Ching-Hua University. It's a pity that I was driving. Had I been home, I would have recorded it for my students to listen.

Around 10 years ago, when the Internet was still at its initial stage, I used to record ICRT news reports every morning before I left for school and have the students listen to one of them in class. After the first listening, they told me the topic of the news. Then they listened to it for the second time and we got into details. It was quite challenging, and fun!

Now with the advance of the Internet, English learners have easy access to live news reports online. However, when it comes listening to Taiwan local news, ICRT, in my opinion, is still the best choice.

The following is the news report about Jin Yong, which I found on the ICRT website.

"A local university has honored one of the greatest martial art novelists of
the modern era
... perhaps of all time.

National Qing-hua University went to Hong Kong to confer an honorary doctoral
degree on 87-year-old, Louis Cha, better known by his pen name Jin Yong.

Jin was given the degree for his influential contributions to Chinese-speaking society.

Qinghua President L.J. Chen and several university officials made the trip to
Hong Kong for the award ceremony.

Chen presented the honor to Cha at a hotel in Hong Kong, and during the
ceremony lauded him as one of the most influential writers in Chinese
society.

He also also praised Cha as someone with a strong sense of social justice who
advocates democracy and freedom.

Born in Zhejiang, China in 1924, Cha co-founded the Ming Pao, a Hong Kong
daily, and was also its first editor-in-chief.

At the age of 82, Cha earned a master's degree from Cambridge University, and
four years later acquired a doctoral degree in philosophy from the same
school."

(jm)

沒有留言:

張貼留言