2011年12月23日 星期五

Gifts from Teachers--Online Article: "10 Priceless Gifts Teachers Can Give Their Students"

The other day I caught a glimpse of the title and the link of the article on the FB mentioned by my good friend Annie: "10 Priceless Gifts Teachers Can Give Their Students." I didn't have time to get linked then, but have since been curious about what the gifts are. Finally I got time to visit the webpage and found the answer.

http://www.teachhub.com/10-priceless-student-gifts-from-teachers

10 Priceless Gifts Teachers Can Give Their Students

By: Lisa Mims

With the holiday season upon us, the spirit of giving is everywhere you look.

Here are 10 priceless gifts we can give to our students. There are more than 10 things that we could give our darlings, but these are the ones that stood out in my mind.

1. A smile.

If you are miserable, they usually are too.

My comments: This is a gift I give my students every day, even when I am under the weather.

2. Get rid of the worksheets.



Granted, if a student can’t figure out 5 problems, they probably can’t do 25 – 100 of the same thing.


3. Talk to them about things in their life.

And maybe, share something from yours.

My comments: Today, in Class 303, when I finished teaching Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken," I told them two decision-making experiences in my life to exemplify the lines: "Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back...And that has made all the difference."


4. Give them a fresh start.

Every. Single. Day.

5. Challenge them.



 Every kid is not “the population.” They just might surprise you!

My comments: Believe me. Every one of my students surprises me. For example, the other day when I told Class 301 how a piece of Brahms' music inspired me when I was studying in the US and then I hummed the beginning of the piece, Meng-tze (陳孟澤) told me the title, "Brahms' Violin Concerto, the 3rd movement." When I heard it, my jaw dropped. I had never thought any of my students would know this piece.

6. Provide consequences.

Whether you believe it or not, they will thank you.


7. Remember they are only children.

Oh boy, that’s a hard one to do sometimes, I know.

My comments: Are high school students still children? Though I regard them so.


8. Try something new.

They are 21st century learners, treat them as such.


9. Get off task.

Isn’t it great to veer away from the planned topic for a bit?
10. Teach!

Let them learn at least one new thing per day.

My comments: This sounds easy, but the students have more control over it.

What other priceless gifts can you think of?

My comments: If I were asked to add only one, I'd like it to be "Show them you care."

沒有留言:

張貼留言