2011年4月28日 星期四

A Touching Video to Teach Empathy

Yesterday and today we continued to discuss Unit 12 "Have a Good Four Years." When we came to the paragraph in which Derek Bok advised the Harvard freshmen to give some thought to what they can do for others, I showed them a short video "The Power of Words." Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU

After the students saw the film, we had a brief discussion about why different words lead to different attitudes. A student in Class 314 said the words the woman wrote triggered people's empathy. Bingo! Exactly what was on my mind.

I also directed the students' attention to how the passersby gave coins to the old man. At this I shared with them what I had once read in a Chinese magazine. In the article, the author reminded the readers to bend a little when giving money to beggars so that the beggars would feel the givers were sharing instead of taking pity on them, which would help maintain their self-esteem. I love this attitude.

沒有留言:

張貼留言