2009年10月20日 星期二

Teaching Demonstration

teaching demonstration

This afternoon, I have a group of special visitors. They are 16 students from NTNU led by Prof. Feng (馮和平教授), coming to observing my teaching.

They came to visit the 3pm class, which happened to be Class 209. Before they arrived at the classroom, the students had already got 20 chairs ready.

We started the class on time, starting with the students greeting the guests. Then as usual, a student gave an oral report on an assigned article. After that, we reviewed what we'd learned from Lesson 5 before moving on to the new paragraphs.

The class discussed Paragraphs 8 and 9 in groups of 6 to 7 for 10 minutes. While the students were talking and filling in the worksheet, I walked around, helping them with some problems. After the group discussion was the class discussion. I asked the questions on the worksheet, and each group competed to answer them. To match the topic of this lesson, I acted as a pitcher, and the students acted as batters. They had to answer the qeustions by turns. I really like their enthusiastic participation. Though a little noisy because of their eagerness to respond, the class went smoothly.

After the class discussion came my explanation of Paragraph 8. I used a lot of Q & A in this session too.

Then 4 minutes before the class was over, I checked if the students had found the answers to the 6 questions I gave them yesterday, such as "Which team has won the most World Series Championships so far and how many?" The purpose of this assignment was to get the students to do some extensive reading. I was glad that they did find the answers.

Then the bell rang. The winner was awarded with a special "trophy"--a bag of food. Team 4, led by the class leader Deh-chong (黃得仲) won the prize, and they generously shared the food with their classmates. They even gave me two pieces. So sweet!

Afterward, Prof. Feng, the NTNU students, Dean of our school academic affairs, Melody, and I had a meeting in the Briefing Room. The students asked me questions concerning today's teaching and we had some discussion. Finally, to my amazement, they presented me with Thank You certificate, a card, and a box of cakes. Very heart-warming.

Thank you all, Prof. Feng, the NTNU students, Mr. Tsai (蔡明男主任), Melody (陳美麗老師), Ushuan (陳育萱老師), Wan-yu (蔡琬瑜老師), Pei-hsin (蔡佩欣組長), Shu-shuan (葛淑瑄老師) for coming to visit us.

沒有留言:

張貼留言