2009年7月24日 星期五

Where to Go

This morning, when I got to my office, there were already many students consulting their homeroom teachers about which universities/departments to put on their final list. Some came to me too. Then in the evening two students called me. I spent quite a lot of time helping them. Of course, they themselves have to make the final decision. 

It's really a tough decision. In my opinion, for those who know exactly what they are interested in, it's easier for them to make the decision. For those who have no special interest, it's not difficult. However, those who are interested in more than two fields may have a hard time. My suggestions are always as follows:

1. Think about what you would like to be ten years from now. What kind of career and life would you like to have?

2. Surf the Net and take a look at the 4 years' courses offered by the department they consider entering.

3. Go to the bookstore and read books in the fields they think they might be interested in.

Here are two articles which might help:

1. 選填志願 該想清楚的事

http://udn.com/NEWS/OPINION/X1/5036765.shtml

2. 98指考選填志願須知

http://www.tiec.tp.edu.tw/lifetype/698

The following is the first article copied from the UDN web page, followed by my comments.
選填志願 該想清楚的事



聯合報╱張凱茵/大學生(台北市)】2009.07.24

大一開始,遇新同學,寒暄和招呼是少不了的,但是最常出現的話題都是,為什麼當初會選擇這個科系?分為三種答案,一種是很制式的說自己興趣所然,一種是很誠實的說父母希望所致,最常聽到的莫過於第三種,成績到了,科系名稱看起來很不錯就填志願上了。

大一下開始,就有不少同學開始因興趣不合,休學的休學,重考的重考。學校科系不好嗎?很好。但是他們都說當初沒考慮清楚,甚至還不知道方向就進大學了。

最近,又是填志願的時節,因為現在的教育制度,讓我們必須接受殘酷成績的考驗,但是除了分數,考慮的事情還很多,有沒有興趣?未來出路?自己的能力能不能符合這個科系?當醫生如果怕血,當教師如果怕演說,那所有求學的時光是否被浪費了?

June: I couldn't agree more. For example, if you know you are not a patient person, you'd better not choose to be a doctor or a teacher.

不要以為上了大學再來接受這個科系,填志願時就要精挑細選,不要因為一時的衝動填出的志願,多走了很多冤枉路。

June: A student of mine who majors in computer science told me that many of his college classmates find it an unbearable torture to study in the department. My student loves computer science so he really enjoys his college life. His advice to those freshmen-to-be is just like Steve Jobs': You've got to find what you love.

沒有想法?找家長朋友聊聊,之前聯合報也提到選系一條龍志願填寫輔助系統,或許都是個參考。

沒有留言:

張貼留言