2009年4月19日 星期日

The Reader, the Movie

Yesterday evening I went to see the movie "The Reader."   It made me sigh for the unavoidable tragedy of the wartime.  Hanan, the heroine, applied for the job when she was young as a guard working for the Nazi Party, killing many Jews.   In her middle age, she faced the trial and was finally sentenced to life imprisonment.   When asked in court by the chief judge why she killed, she retorted, "What would YOU do?"  Hearing her question, I asked myself what I would have done if I were her but couldn't offer an answer.

Also, the movie reminded me of the notion that our fate is decided by our own character. When ordered to put down her signature in court so that the judges could decide whether a document had been signed by her, Hanan refused but claimed that the signature was hers, because she didn't want to reveal that she was illiterate, which indirectly led to her destruction.  If she hadn't been so self-conscious, so self-conceited, if she could have allowed imperfection, she would only have had to stay in prison for 4 months and hence had a different life.   For a person to become a tragic figure, he/she must possess some fatal flaw.

A good movie, indeed.  It made me think.

沒有留言:

張貼留言