2015年3月16日 星期一

Three Compositions by Joy, a former NHSH Student: The Thing I Want to Do Most after I Enter College, My Best Friend, When I Am Feeling Down

 These are three essays written by Joy (林妙鍾), a former NHSH student who graduated in 2000. They were written either in writing class or on a mock exam. Joy won the fourth place in a nationwide English writing contest  held in Kaohsiung in 1999. After graduating from NTU, where she majored in chemistry, and working for one year, she went on to study at Cornell University for her master's and doctoral degrees.


Today I found these three compositions of hers in a folder. Before throwing the papers away, I'd like to type the essays up and share them here.


The Thing I Want to Do Most after I Enter College 


       After I enter get into college, I want to pick up my violin and enter an amateur’s orchestra. I started playing the violin when I was in fourth grade. I joined in at least one orchestra every year from fifth grade to eighth grade. It was really a joy to be in an orchestra. I got to share my love of music with those who had the same feeling for music as I did. Since we were only amateurs, all the music we played was for pleasure only. There was absolutely no pressure at all. Every time after we rehearsed a song, I could hear the beautiful harmony ringing in my head, or the steady rhythm running through my ears, like a little brook. The feeling was beyond words. It was just like I was in paradise. After the eighth grade, because of my busy school life, I had to stop playing the violin. However, I simply cannot forget the excitement, the happiness, and the absolute joy playing music has brought me. This is why I want to be in an orchestra, to be a violinist again, to be able to drift down the river of music once more. This is what I want to do most after I enter college.  (210 words) (by Joy)  (17/20)

My Best friend


I have known my best friend ever since I was born. Neither of us know “how” we actually got to know each other. It just happened! I was the new born baby in the house and she was the four-year-old, so called “big sister” to me. She would always stoop there watching my mom giving me a bath, the strange-looking baby who she had to share a room with. I guess it would be kind of hard not knowing one’s roommate after sharing a room with her for twelve years.

When I was little, she would always teach me my homework and help me if I needed help. As I got older, we would stay up at night and talk for a long time about school, movies, friends, and so on. For 14 years, we laughed together, cried together, and live together.

My sister went abroad for her college education. Now, our bunk bed is empty on the lower bunk. I always feel so lonely when it is a dark and stormy night and I have no on to hug. She would come back on vacations and we’d talk our heads off just like what we used to do. She will always be my sister and my best friend for life. (211 words) (by Joy)

When I Am Feeling Down


Whenever I feel down, I would go talk to my special friend, the violin. I would play the violin, as if pouring all the bitterness in my mind to a friend. It would patiently listen to all I have to say without a yawn or a complaint. The violin also gives me advice and suggestions. Although the fiddle cannot say it in words, it always sings them out in beautiful melodies. Playing the violin usually makes me feel a lot better when I feel down.

There is another solution to the feeling down problem. I would discuss it with my human friend—my mom. Mothers know best what their children are like and what is troubling them. My mother always knows that I feel depressed without talking to me. We would take a walk or do something meaningful to get my mind off the matter. I am glad to have someone, or something, there for me every time I feel down.  (161 words)  (by Joy)

The Thing I Want to Do Most after I Enter College

沒有留言:

張貼留言