2015年3月14日 星期六

A Gathering with Brian, after So Many Years

Finally, yesterday afternoon I had a gathering with Brian, a former student who I taught at Chiehshow Junior High School and got reconnected more than two months ago (See http://june.ettachou.com/2012/08/20/a-life-changing-sentence/comment-page-1/#comment-440157). We haven't seen each other for around 20 years! However, when I saw him, I could recognize him right away.

We caught up on what we'd missed for these years. His studies, life experience, philosophy of life, etc. When he told me that among the 50 countries he'd been to, the most appealing one to him is Iran, I was a little perplexed, given the current situation there. According to him, people there were nice, never suspicious of others and not coveting what didn't belong to them. But that was years ago and he didn't know if it stays the same now.

Brian enjoys learning. I could feel the inexaustible energy inside him. I can still remember the time when he, in 8th and 9th grades, came to my office to have a chat. He sounded and looked like a philosopher. That was more than 20 years ago! He still appears to be one now.

At first, it seemed we wouldn't make it because he was afraid to take up my time and I didn't feel like disturbing him during his brief stay in Taipei. Still, we decided on yesterday afternoon's meet-up yesterday morning. After all, nobody can tell when he will come back to Taiwan next time. I'm happy I insisted on meeting him. I told him on the phone it would take only 20 minutes, which turned into two hours.

Brian, thank you for telling me that as a teacher, I not just taught, but cared about students. Yes, you are always on my mind. Wish you all the best!

沒有留言:

張貼留言