2014年8月29日 星期五

"From janitor to teacher to principal, all at the same school"

A very inspiring story. It's education that makes this possible!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-sideshow/man-goes-from-elementary-school-janitor-to-principal-201711543.html

From janitor to teacher to principal, all at the same school

By                                  February 11, 2014 3:17 PM

Port Barre Elementary principal Gabe Sonnier says, "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."


He should know. CBS Evening News recently profiled Sonnier's journey from janitor to teacher to principal, an inspired career arc that took place at the same elementary school in Port Barre, La., over the course of more than 30 years.


Sonnier told CBS News the odyssey began in the mid-'80s when he was working as a janitor at the school. The school's then-principal took him aside and said, "I'd rather see you grading papers than picking them up," Sonnier told CBS News.


My comments: Words can change a person's life!

Sonnier took the advice seriously. He went back to school and earned his teaching degree, while still working at the school. Those years were a definite challenge, according to an interview Sonnier gave to the Advocate earlier this year:


My comments: Education is the steps to a higher level.
“I would get to school at 5 a.m. and then leave at 7 a.m. to get to LSU-Eunice. After classes, I would come back at 8:30 p.m. and work the rest of my hours, usually until around midnight. Then I would go home and do homework and get two or three hours of sleep,” Sonnier said.

My comments: He was tougher than the tough life then.

The hard work paid off. A short time after graduating, he scored his first teaching job. That was in 2008.

But the journey wasn't over. He went back and earned a master's degree from Arkansas State University. Now, more than three decades after he began working as a janitor, he's the guy in charge of the whole operation.

My comments: A long journey, but it's worth it. As a principal, he can do more things for the kids and the faculty in the school.

He told the Advocate he's at the school 12 hours a day, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. with his door open, ready to help.

From the Advocate:

"Many of the students who were here while I was the custodian now have children here. You build your community with kids, and the ones who watched me work as a custodian are telling me now that I deserve (to be principal). The kids who were here when I was Mr. Gabe the custodian are now the community and I always had a good relationship with those kids,” Sonnier said.


And it still isn't over. Sonnier jokingly told CBS News that he "would welcome" the chance to be superintendent.


My comments: A bigger dream.

************

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/24/janitor-to-principal-story-gets-national-attention/?page=all

Janitor-to-principal story gets national attention

By ZANE HILL - Associated Press - Monday, February 24, 2014

PORT BARRE, La. (AP) - Port Barre Elementary Principal Joseph Sonnier is  becoming a national figure as the story of his journey from janitor to principal  continues to spread.

“Based on all of the emails I’ve been getting from all over the U.S., I feel  like I get a glimpse of how a celebrity feels,” he said. Although school was out  for the day, Sonnier was sitting alertly  at his desk with work still to be done.

“It’s overwhelming, to say the least,” he continued. “I’m trying to take it  all in, but I’m not letting it take away from what I was hired to do.”

Since CBS’ “On the Road” series, produced by journalist Steve Hartman,  showcased Sonnier on national television  Feb. 7. CNN has been in contact with him. Popular search engine websites AOL and  Yahoo! prominently feature his story in their news tabs. Local media have told  his story numerous times.

The Leonville native began his career at Port Barre Elementary in 1981, as a  janitor. Nineteen years later, when his two sons were entering college, Sonnier joined them. Still cleaning floors and taking out the trash in Port Barre, Sonnier studied education part time at  LSU-Eunice until he earned his associate degree in 2006.

Two years later, he earned his bachelor’s in elementary education from the  University of Louisiana at Lafayette. He still worked as a custodian.

My comments: That was 2008.

“For two and a half years, I was doing full-time classes and working here,”  he said, beaming.

Once he had his degree, he hung up the mop and broom and entered the  classroom as “Mr. Sonnier.” He taught  math, science and social studies to third-grade students at the school until  2011, when he became an all-around fourth-grade teacher. While doing that, he  was still a student - he earned his master’s in educational leadership from  Arkansas State University in 2012.

Sonnier was tabbed as his longtime  school’s principal in November.

“I don’t think my staff would let me get away from here,” he said. “I felt  when I came here, it would be an easy transition. I didn’t have to start all  over again.”

Sonnier admitted he doesn’t shy away  from media attention, but he emphasized it wasn’t for his own ego. He said he  believes people need to hear inspiring stories like his own, and he’s not alone.  In particular, LSUE professor Mary Leslie and UL professor Alice Voorhies told  him to tell his tale.

“They said, ‘Joseph, you’ve been  inspired to get into education by other people and now, as you go through your  journey, it’s your responsibility to inspire others,’” he related. “It’s not so  much about me. There’s someone out there who needs to be inspired, who’s given  up. They need to hear my story.”

Sonnier summed up his story with the  phrase “Where you start is not necessarily where you end up.”

“Since I graduated from UL, that has been my motto,” he said.

Other work he’s found over the years includes directing baseball and  softball for Opelousas Parks and Recreation for 14 years, officiating high  school and college basketball for 22 years and coaching high school baseball and  softball for 16 years. Sonnier’s  immaculate office indicated which prior job he still carries with him.

“I’m not above doing that (cleaning), no,” he said. “When I was in the  classroom, I told custodians, ‘Don’t worry about it. I’ve got it.’”

The years of knowing the ins-and-outs of the school create an advantage, Sonnier said.

“Custodians know I can’t be fooled,” he joked.

Upon his appointment, Sonnier fought  tears at the St. Landry Parish School Board meeting as he thanked the board and  recited a key Bible verse by which he lives.

Man makes up in his mind what he wants to do, but it is God who tells you  what you’re going to do,” he repeated in his office Wednesday.

Sonnier couldn’t end the interview  without mentioning the strongest pillar in his life - his wife, Felicia  Sonnier.

She never was embarrassed of (my job),” he said. “My wife never looked down  on me. She held her head high when people asked what I did for a living. That’s  a great quality for a spouse.”

My comments: Bravo, Mr. and Mrs. Sonnier!

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/24/janitor-to-principal-story-gets-national-attention/#ixzz3Bm4d5EP9 Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

 

沒有留言:

張貼留言