2015年4月9日 星期四

A Gathering with Ching-yan



This noon, I had a gathering with Ching-yan, a former homeroom student who graduated in 2011 and is a senior at NTU majoring in English. He is graduating this June and planning to go on studying at graduate school.

In fact, I have been pressed for time recently, but to give him some CEEC English practice tests, old English magazines, and test preparation books for his tutor students, I still squeezed time from my tight schedule. When I handed him the box, I had a feeling of passing the mission of teaching on.

We talked about English learning and teaching. Glad to know that he tries his best to arouse his tutor students' interest in English by using videos, such as Friends. He agrees that the best way to improve English is by reading, but it seems that videos are more attractive to students. He usually has his students watch a video for around 20 minutes and teaches them some expressions in it. Hearing it, I was happy that he could bring the real world English to his students and I suggested that he goes further by talking with his students about the video in English so that students have the chance to speak English. Once they have the confidence in speaking English, nothing can stop them from learning more. At this, I recall the tip Konraad gave a class of mine years ago on learning English: speak.

沒有留言:

張貼留言