2013年8月13日 星期二

The Summer Class I Taught



This is a photo taken this afternoon. In the photo is the summer class I taught for six days, from August 5 until today. Every day we met, besides reviewing Book 4, I offered them an article to read and a song to sing. The following are the articles and songs for the six-day class.

Day 1: "Taiwan protest over Hung Chung-chiu death" (from BBC) & "Do you Hear the People Sing?"

Day 2: Two jokes, but no songs.

Day 3: "Grieving Widower Builds Taj Mahal Replica in Memory of His Late Wife" & "Somewhere over the Rainbow"

Day 4: "The Carpenter" & "The Rose"

Day 5: "Tell the Truth" from Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture & "Hero"

Day 6: "All You Have Is What You Bring With You" from Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture & "I Believe in You"

Each article provided us with topics to discuss. I would ask them the main idea and questions about details. More than that, they guessed the meanings of some words. I gave them only 2 to thee minutes to read, hoping they would grasp the gist instead of stopping at each word to think about their meanings. I wanted them to learn that even with a few unfamiliar words, they could still understand the main points of the articles.

As for the songs, I believed they would help the students to experience the beauty of English as they sang along. Now I can still remember how I feel their heart leap when they sang "Do You Hear the People Sing?"

How I enjoy seeing students enjoy learning!





The students taking a vocabulary & phrase quiz

 



The other group picture taken after class

 



Some staying and cleaning the classroom

 



An empty classroom filled with wonderful memories

沒有留言:

張貼留言