2013年8月23日 星期五

Good Luck, Spencer!



Before Spencer (陳昭龍) leaves for the States to study next week, we got together this morning for brunch at the Taipei Main Station.

Spencer is a former student I taught English from 2004 to 2006. I still remember the day at the beginning of his senior year when he came to ask me if he was likely to get into the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures at NTU. Looking at him and reviewing his attitude, I answered firmly, "Yes." Then with hard work and persistence, he attained his goal, going to NTU in the fall of 2006. Though having doubts once in a while along the way, by keeping going, he made it. Now he is going to graduate school in the USA, majoring in Linguistics, I'm really happy for him, believing he will enjoy his life there and wishing him all the best.

Today when he showed me pages of a list of books he has in his room, my jaw dropped. The list is very well organized, with all the books, either in English or in Japanese, falling into categories. Upon seeing the list, I thought to myself, "How much patience and perseverance did it take to compile such a list? This man is going somewhere!" What's more impressive, he's read most of the books!

Parts of the list:





 



Bravo, Spencer!

And thank you for giving me the book The Happiness Project.



 



 

 

沒有留言:

張貼留言