2010年5月9日 星期日

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all moms!

In Thursday's English class, thirty minutes before the dismissal bell rang, I let my homeroom class watch two song videos: Anita Renfroe's "The Mom Song," which my dear friend Annie had introduced to me, and Il Divo's "Mama," both of which I'd already inserted in my blog on Wednesday.

In "The Mom Song," Anita condenses what "a mother would say in a period of 24 hours to 2 minutes and 55 seconds." The reason why I played the song was that the students would understand their mother's concern and love behind what they often take as nagging, which is universal. Actually, during my first hearing of the song, when Anita came to the sentence, "And if all your friends jumped off a cliff / Would you jump too?" I burst out laughing. Besides the interesting lyrics, the students were amazed at Anita's fast speed. They thought she was cool.

The other song "Mama" sounds sad. After the song, I reminded the students that their mom had her dream too and that with the family as her first priority, she might have sacrificed her own dream.

Afterwards, I gave each of the students a piece of paper and an envelope to invite them to write a letter to their mom for Mother's Day. In the afternoon I went to the post office to send all the letters. This is an activity I read about in the newspaper several months ago and believed worth doing. I know the students love their mom, but some buried it deep in their heart. Love not shown is something regrettable. I'm really glad with what I had the students do for Mother's Day.

沒有留言:

張貼留言