2009年9月4日 星期五

Reading and Writing Class: An Experiment

Today in Reading & Writing class I did an experiment, inspired by Ms. Wang's speech in May (http://www.tiec.tp.edu.tw/lifetype/post/1130/30746).

I had the 214 students do free reading for 20 minutes. I called it "reading for pleasure," though the students were asked to write a brief reading log right after their reading. Then I invited three students to share what they had read.

After the activity, I had the students write what they thought of this activity. Most of the students wrote they liked the reading part. Some also liked the writing part, but some did not like the oral report part.

A student wrote that when she was studying in New Zealand, this reading-in-class activity was used in a class intended for international students. Amazing!

One student was afraid that we might fall behind the textbook schedule. Well, we'll keep doing this during the first month and see if it has a bad impact on their textbook learning.

With this activity, I wish to help the students get into the habit of pleasure reading. Once they enjoy reading, their life will never be boring.

沒有留言:

張貼留言