2009年9月1日 星期二

Fan-yu Transferring to NTU

Three former students came to visit me.  One of them FFan-yu (郭凡瑜) is from the former Class 316, who graduated last year.     She told me she has succeeded in transferring from Taipei University to NTU, majoring in Economics.  I am very happy for her. 

She decided to transfer the moment she knew she was admitted to Taipei University because the school was too far.  Then she went to cram school for two subjects: Economics and Calculus.  As for Chinese and English, she studied them on her own.   For Chinese, she was only asked to write a composition.  The English exam this year only included vocabulary and grammar.   She memorized TOEFL vocabulary, read a few Reader's Digest articles, and did the practice exam of GEPT offered by several universities.   She did very well in Calculus: 88 and was one of the six to get admitted.  Altogether there were more than 300 candidates.  I could see how happy she was!

During our conversation, I was especially impressed with a sentence: " When I don't want to do something, no one can convince me to; when I want to, I do my best."   I know the power of will.

Fan-yu also told me that knowing the advantages of using an English-English dictionary, she carried a big Longman dictionary to and fro between school and home when she was a freshman.  She regretted that she hadn't used any monolingual dictionary when she was in high school though I left one in their classroom.  Great that she finally owned and used one.

Fan-yu, congratulations again!   Bravo for your determination and perseverance.

沒有留言:

張貼留言