2009年9月21日 星期一

A Warm-up Activity: Sanmin 303

Today I started Lesson Two in Class 214. 

To lead the students in, I wrote on the blackboard the title: Is the Truth Out There?  With it, I asked them, "If something is out there, is it near or far from us?"    For the sake of reinforcement, I even sang the first line of the song "Somewhere Out There."   Then  I asked them what "the  truth" meant.  They gave me the Chinese translation. 

Now it was time to discuss the meaning of the title.  I asked them to give me some examples of mysteries in the world to which the solution, or the truth, might be found somewhere out there, outside the earth.   The example the students gave was "aliens."   It was a good answer, indeed!  I added ghosts and God to the list.  However, no one in the class thought of anything this lesson mentions, such as Crop Circles, Stonehenge, the pyramids, the Nazca Lines.    Maybe it was because I didn't give them enough clues.  

Then we moved on to the warm-up in the textbook, where they saw the photos of the four world's great wonders I mentioned above.  To my surprise, they were not familiar with them.  

After finishing the matching and the Q & A exercises in Warm-up, we started the reading text part.  

As usual, the students read the first paragraph silently, followed by answering questions from me about the main idea and some details.  To provide them with more infromation about the Roswell Incident, I had them read an article from BBC, an account of the mysterious incident.  

We didn't have the time to go into the details of the 1st paragraph.

沒有留言:

張貼留言