2009年6月17日 星期三

Going to the Movies--an Essay by Rebecca

Several years ago, a friend teaching at Zhongshan Girls High School (中山女中) showed me an essay written by her student.   After reading it, I was speechless, amazed at the student's writing skills.  This  essay of hers not only has substance but also is very well organized.  You just cannot stop reading it until the last word.   


The following is the outline of the essay:


I. Introduction


    Movies: a new form of entertainment


II~IV.  Reasons


    II.  Having everything


           1. What we do


           2. What we see


    III. Releasing feelings


     IV. Drawing people to share


Now, here’s the essay. You can either download and print it out, which I suggest you do, Going to the Movies.doc


or just read on.


 Going to the Movies


by Rebecca Liu



 Ever since ancient times, entertainment has been an important part in every culture—the Greek had the Olympics; the Chinese the traditional operas; native Americans the strong tribal dances.  As the great wheel of time rolled into the twentieth century, a new form of entertainment was brought to the world, and caught every pleasure-searcher’s eye.  The form of entertainment combines all other entertainment such as music, literature, and sports, and creates a whole new world for people.  What has such magical powers?  It’s the movies!

Why is going to the movies so attractive that billions of people rush into cinemas and theaters every week?  Well, if you ask me, I’d say that movies have everything.  When I walk into a movie theater, I can stretch out on my seat and enjoy the popcorn scent filling the room.  Then the room becomes dark and the rest of the world vanishes into a breathless wait.  Suddenly, vivid images start appearing before me, and a story thus begins.  Whatever kind of movie it may be, it always provides me with a different kind of joy: action films and thrillers are more stimulating than any roller coaster ride; dramas grab at me and I become entangled with emotions; tragedies reach into the softest part of my heart; comedies tickle every end of my nerves.  Every movie gives me thrills that my ordinary life lacks.  I guess that’s part of the reason why I love going to the movies.  If I’m lucky, I can lead half an interesting life, but by going to the movies and following the stories, I can live dozens of extraordinary lives!

Besides that, going to the movies gives me a chance to release my real feelings.  In this modern world, everyone is so busy with his own business that when I am feeling down, it’s not always easy to find someone to talk to.  Then all the emotions must be pressed back and kept to myself.  That is not really healthy.  But in the movies, during a touching scene and in the dark surroundings, I can cry right out without restraining myself.  Then when the movie ends, I can stand up feeling refreshed, and walk out to face the real world with a smile.

When I go to the movies, other than the movie itself, I can also watch the other movie-goers.  It is really interesting to see people of all different social statuses and classes sitting together, being enchanted with the same story, and crying and laughing in unison.  Going to the movies, in a sense, draws people closer to each other because they share the same feelings.  And THAT is the real magic of movie-going.

(447 words)

沒有留言:

張貼留言