2009年6月5日 星期五

English Education--a Perspectieve of a Math Teacher

This morning in the hallway I ran into Mr. Tsao (曹昌東老師), an experienced math teacher.  Asked what I had been doing recently, I told him I was  reading something to decide on what to teach for the summer remedial class.  He generously shared his opinion.   According to him, students should be taught something useful and listening should be focused.  Instead of reading difficult articles, students in the remedial class may find something like Let's Talk in English more manageable and useful.  I told him I had been planning to have students read a book and in class we would have an oral discussion.  He said that would be fine and that a book with a CD would be better so that the students could be exposed to the language before they spoke it.

I appreciate his perspective on English education.  Since he doesn't teach English, it must have come from his careful observation of his students or people around learning English.  In fact, listening is also what I consider the most important in learning English.  That's why I put a premium on oral interaction in my class. 

沒有留言:

張貼留言