2008年9月13日 星期六

To Tracy

Tracy left her comments on my "A Lead-in Activity for Unit 1" in my Life Type blog as follows:


Dear June,


Thank you so much for allowing me to sit in on your class, and I really enjoyed it! To my amazement, you taught in almost all-English, but still, the class was so attentive and responsive. I am always curious in what way the top-down teaching method can be effective, and your teaching method certainly inspired me a lot. :D If you don't find that bothering, may I sit in on your class for a few more times, please?



Posted by Tracy at 12/09/2008, 21:20

Here is my response to her:


Dear Tracy,


Thank you for the encouragement. I prefer teaching English reading lessons in a top-down way because that's closer to what we really do while reading. We don't pre-learn new words in order to understand what we are going to read. When we come across a word we don't know, we either guess its meaning or skip it.


When I began to teach, I used the bottom-up methord. However, it gradually dawned on me that it was not the natural way of reading. So I changed.


You're welcome to visit my class again. Just let me know it in advance, please. As you know, students in the third year have a very tight schedule. They may have a bunch of things to do in one period of class, for example, taking a translation or grammar quiz, and having a discussion of the review test.


沒有留言:

張貼留言