2008年9月5日 星期五

Beyond Genius -- Sep. 4, 2008 entry

Sep. 4, 2008


This evening starting from 8:00, my phone line got disconnected. I put it on my calendar a few days ago to remind myself to write my blog before 8pm, but I still forgot it. A sign of aging?


However, I still have a way to keep my blog. I kept it on Word so that I could copy and paste it in my blog later.


Today is the first day of the 1st mock exam. While I was proctoring Class 320, I walked around and found a Chinese book in their class library, 不只是天才 (Beyond Genius)。 It was written by Andrew Hsu (徐安廬), a boy who entered college in the USA at a very young age and set his heart on helping poor children around the world. Making sure that the class behaved very well, I flipped through the book. At the end of the book, he made a –est/favorite list, for example, his favorite Chinese poetry, the city he wanted to visit most, etc. Among others was his favorite quote:


“Failure is only postponed success. The habit of persistence is the habit of victory.”

from Herbert Kaufman


Another on the list was what he learned from his best friend: 「如果要成功完成一件事,必須早也想,晚也想;早也做,晚也做。」


Sounds very aggressive, doesn’t it? What if one still ends up failing? Then it would be soothing to remember the old saying, “Man proposes; God disposes.”

沒有留言:

張貼留言