2008年9月3日 星期三

Challenge

Being an English teacher, I have to face challenges from students every day.  Yesterday, a student asked me how to say 圓周率 in English.  I said Pi, but not sure if it was English.  So I told him I would find the answer after class.  Then when we were comparing the words "rise, raise, arise, arouse,"  I gave them some example phrases; among them was "arouse your child's curiosity."  It was at that point that I told them I welcomed questions from them because it showed that they were curious.  (In fact, they know that anyone who corrects my mistake in class can win 2 points for their team.) I also told them that if I didn't know the answer, it would arouse my curiosity and make me learn more.  After that, I told them they must be curious about how to say 圓周率 in English.  I said, "Why not try to find the answer by yourself?"  Immediately, a girl found the words "circular constant" in her electronic dictionary.  At that moment, I thought it made sense since "constant" in math is a nmuber that is always the same.  However, just now, I checked online and found only a small number of entries contained the phrase "circular constant."  So I keyed in 圓周率 and went to Wikipedia in Chinese.  Then I clicked "English" on Wikipedia and found that the English word for this mathematical term was "Pi."   Eureka!  I found I had been right.


 

沒有留言:

張貼留言