2008年9月8日 星期一

The only certainty is the uncertainty.

I was shocked by two pieces of news last Saturday.  One was that the famous writer Chao-ning (趙寧)passed away on Friday, at the age of 66.  The other was that Jimmy (幾米), a well-known illustrator, suffered from leukemia.  The headline said Jimmy has cried every day since he got to know he had cancer.  I feel great sympathy for him, not only for his physical pain but also for his mental suffering. 

Though I read only one or two books by JImmy, I love his drawing style.  To me it's dreamlike, very natural.  In fact, if I could see him in person, I would like to lend him a shoulder to cry on and tell him, "Please remember that you don't live in vain.  Your artistic works are immortal.  You'll live forever." 

I remember when I was in the US, one day I got a fortune cookie.  In the cookie was the slip of paper reading, "The only certainty is the uncertainty."  At that time, I couldn't really understand this seemingly paradoxical statement.  However, as years passed by, the truth of this sentence gradually dawned on me.  Yes, we cannot make sure what life will bring to us.  What we are sure about is its unpredicatability.  And all we can do is seize the day.

 

沒有留言:

張貼留言