2008年7月14日 星期一

The first day of summer school

Today is the first day of summer school.  I met two of my new classes--Classes 310 and 314.  They are cute as my former students. 

Of course, I briefly introduced myself: my name, how long I have been teaching in this school, books to use in the third year, and my way of teaching.  Then I suggested to them some good ways to learn English, putting emphasis on speaking and reading.  After that I asked them to fill out a personal information card for me so that I can get to know more about them as individuals. 

Then we moved on to the article I gave two weeks ago: You've Got to Find What You Love.  We had a discussion.  Some of the students gave me very good responses.   For the second last question: What do you think "Stay hungry.  Stay foolish" mean, the answer they gave me was quite good: "Never be satisfied with what you are now.  Keep learning."   For the last question: Which sentence impressed you most and you would like to keep in mind, the answers are "Stay hungry. Stay foolish," "You've got to find what you love," "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life," "'If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right,'" etc.

After the discussion, we moved on to grammar.  Today we reviewed the tense in English: the form and the function.  For each tense, they made sentences.  They were about to do the exercise when the dismissal bell rang. 

In summer, we don't teach lessons in the new textbook.  So, besides reviewing Books 1 and 2, the teachers can teach whatever they would like to teach.  This is more challenging.  I decided to teach writing and review some important grammar points.  Moreover, the students have to read 5 articles in the reading comprehension book per week and practice translation.  Of course, I will give them good articles for discussion.  That's what I love most.

沒有留言:

張貼留言