2015年2月6日 星期五

How Do You Say That in American English?--from KOJEN

This is from the same issue of KOJEN newsletter mentioned in the previous entry.

The dilaogue was written by John Harper, in which readers learn a lot of authentic American English. I'll underline the phrases as they were done in the newsletter. See if you can guess the meaning of each.






A: Wow, that’s really a nice   camera. Top of the line, hey?B: Well, it had certainly better be. It set   me back quite a bit. Now that I’ve bought it, I’ll be pinching pennies  for months.A: I think I would be too. I   didn’t realize that you and become such a big spender.

B: Well, I haven’t really. I got   $4000 off. Besides, I needed it for a special occasion. My sister just   graduated from college. I wanted to take some pictures of her graduation   party.

A: Oh, I see: Little sister   graduated, huh? Send her my congratulations. I bet she’s on cloud nine.

B: Well, yes and no. She really had   a blast in college, you know: lots of parties, lots of friends, lots of   crazy moments. Now she’s got to enter the real world. It’s kind of a   rude awakening, you know.

A: Well, she’ll tough it out.   We all do. What’s she got planned anyway?

B: Oh, she’s got all sorts of   fish frying. First of all, she and her boyfriend are getting hitched   next year. And she’s applied for jobs here and all around the island.

A: So, she’s about to tie the   knot. I guess congratulations are in order once again.

B: Yeah, but I don’t know what she’ll   do if she gets a job in another city. You know what they say: Long-distance   relationships don’t usually work too well.

A: Her fiancé wouldn’t go with   her?

B: Well, that’s the question. he’s   already gotten set up in a software company right here. I’m not   sure how wise it would be for him suddenly to take off.

A: I see. Oh, well. Love always   finds a way.

B: I suppose. Hey, in fact, you   might even know my sister’s fiancé. He came to my mother’s birthday party two   or three years ago.

A: You don’t say? Well,   let’s take a look at those graduation photos. I’m sure he’s in a couple of   those.

B: He was in more than a couple.   He was the light of the party, in fac. My sister’s classmates couldn’t   keep their eyes off of him. Here’s one of him and my sister.

A: Nice. They look like they   were made for each other. Hey, maybe I do recognize him.

B: You probably do. I told you that my sister bought him to my mother’s birthday a few years ago. At that time, I used to say it was all just puppy love.

A: Hmm. I guess you’re eating   your words now. It looks like little sister’s going to fly the coop   before you do.

B: Yeah, she’s always trying to be   one up on me.

 

1. top of the line: one of the best models

2. to set sb. back: to cost sb. a lot of money

3. to pinch pennies: to save money or to try to spend very little money

4. a big spender: a person who spends a lot of money

5. to get $4000 off: to get a $4000 discount

6. to be on cloud nine: to be very excited or happy

7. to have a blast: to have a good time

8. to enter the real world: to start work (after graduating from high school or college)

9. a rude awakening: an undesirable surprise resulting from a change in circumstances

10. to tough something out: to survive a difficult situation

11. to have all sorts of fish frying: to have many things going on

12. to get hitched: to get married

13. to tie the knot: to get married

14. long-distance relationship: a relationship in which the two partners live a long way apart

15. to be well set up: to be in a good situation

16. to take off: to leave

17. You don't say? What a surprise/coincidence!

18. to be the light of the party: to be the center of attention

19. puppy love: fist love (usually not very serious)

20. to eat one's words: to be proven wrong in what one has said

21. to fly the coop: to leave the house of one's parents (often when one gets married)

22. to be one up: to be one step ahead (in something)

 

 

沒有留言:

張貼留言