2008年11月14日 星期五

A Way to Get Students to Speak English


When I finish discussing and teaching a paragraph, I usually have the students do the read-look up-and-say activity in pairs.  Then I ask them to tell me from their memory the language items they have learned from that paragraph.  This is an exciting moment.  To win points for their teams, the students will shout out some meaningful English chunks, for example, be determined to, stick to high standards, compromise on quality, in opposite directions, etc.  Of course, learning chunks is not enough.  To make them speak a complete sentence, I ask them what they have learned from what they've read.   Usually, they answer in their own words.  To make them learn some good sentences, I can challenge them to shout out from their memory the exact sentences from the text. 


How I love to hear students speak English!

沒有留言:

張貼留言