2012年4月8日 星期日

Quotations About Kindness

 On the following webpage are some quotations about kindness:http://www.quotegarden.com/kindness.html

Some of the quotations do strike a chord in my heart.

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." ~Author Unknown

"Don't wait for people to be friendly, show them how." ~Author Unknown

"Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. " ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." ~Dalai Lama

"The best portion of a good man's life - his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." ~William Wordsworth

"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. " ~Jesse Jackson

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." ~Leo Buscaglia

*****************

What follows is not a quotation but two stories. I remember reading the first one somewhere.  

"During my second year of nursing school our professor gave us a quiz. I breezed through the questions until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?" Surely this was a joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Before the class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our grade. "Absolutely," the professor said. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello." I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy." ~Joann C. Jones

"As the bus slowed down at the crowded bus stop, the Pakistani bus conductor leaned from the platform and called out, "Six only!" The bus stopped. He counted on six passengers, rang the bell, and then, as the bus moved off, called to those left behind: "So sorry, plenty of room in my heart - but the bus is full." He left behind a row of smiling faces. It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it." ~The Friendship Book of Francis Gay, 1977



沒有留言:

張貼留言