2011年11月11日 星期五

Teaching Book 5, Unit 7 "Where There Is a Will"

Recently, we've been discussing Unit 7 "Where There Is a Will," which is about the construction of Taiwan's Hsuehshan Tunnel. Here I'd like to present the first period of the lesson.

For the warm-up, I asked the students about the title of the lesson. They all knew it was the first half of a proverb, so very naturally, after saying, "Where there is a will," they continued with "there is a way." That's good. Then I asked them about the photo on the same page. They knew it was the Hsuehshan Tunnel. At this, I invited the students to tell me whatever they knew about the tunnel. Next, they were challenged to connect the unit title with the tunnel and predict what they would read in the unit. It was brilliant of them to tell me the unit was about the difficulties of the construction of the tunnel.

After the warm-up, we went to the first paragraph. They read it silently and told me the main idea. Next, I asked them to tell me any information they learned from this paragraph. Then, with the ppt, we organized the pieces of information into a coherent paragraph as shown in this unit. Right after it, the outline of this paragraph was presented. Afterwards, we discussed some English expressions and sentence structures in this paragraph. The whole paragraph was wrapped up with a three-minute video clip. I paused the video several times and asked questions.

In this period, we went over the first two paragraphs.

The following are the ppt for the 1st paragraph and a video clip part of which (0:00-2:50) we saw as a wrap-up of the paragraph.

Sanmin 507 first paragraph,.ppt

沒有留言:

張貼留言