2009年11月14日 星期六

Word Cards

word cards-3

Recall the meaning of the word before you continue.Did you get it right?

word cards

Yesterday a student in Class 214 told me the effectiveness of using word cards on vocabulary learning.

The other day when she came to me and told me about her difficulty in memorizing vocabulary, I suggested that she use word cards, with an English word on one side and its Chinese translation on the other. With those little cards, she can test herself anywhere anytime, by either looking at the English word and recalling its meaning or looking at the Chinese translation and recalling the sound and the spelling of the English word .

One advantage of using word cards over studying a word list is that the learner can pick words randomly to do the self-test instead of in a fixed order.

In fact, three days ago a student in another class, whom I am acquainted with but don't teach, came to thank me, telling me how using word cards helped him progress a lot in English.

These two students have something in common. Not only asking for advice but also following the advice, they benefited from their own actions.

P.S. It would be even better to write the collocation(s) of the word under the Chinese translation, as shown in the following photo.

word cards-4

沒有留言:

張貼留言