2008年1月9日 星期三

Reading aloud

Class 316 asked me to let them read aloud Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" in class. I was surprised. Whether it was because they just wanted to have a review before the test or because they really loved the speech, I was happy that they made the request. During the break, Yi-ching (林怡青) told me last night when she was studying this lesson, she read aloud the speech, thinking about Dr. King giving the speech. This is great! The speech has touched her heart.




It is a pity that I haven't taught these students many poems. If my memory serves me right, we have read only one poem so far, "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by Wordsworth. It's a beautiful poem full of imagery.


My former students learned more than one poem. I remember when I taught them a poem, I usually wrote the whole poem on the blackboard. I would have the students listen to the poem, and then have them repeat after the tape, sometimes, if lucky, the poet. After that I would discuss with them the rhyming scheme, the rhythm, the imagery, and, of course, the meaning. Finally we would read it together. While reading, they would tap their desk to the rhythm. What an enjoyment!

沒有留言:

張貼留言