2014年10月27日 星期一

Adverbial "-ever" Clause vs. Nominal "-ever" Clause

A former colleague who is still teaching called me the day before yesterday and asked me a question: How can we help learners to easily distinguish the advervial "-ever clause" from the nominal one? For example:

1. Whatever you do, I'll love you forever.

2. Whatever you do is fine with me.

My answer was: Replace the clause with a pronoun, for example, someone/something or he.../it. If it sounds grammatical and meaningful, then it is a nominal clause because a noun can always be replaced with a pronoun. So the first clause of the second sentence above is a nominal clause while that of the first sentence an adverbial one.

x 1. Something/It, I'll love you.

v 2. Something/It is fine with me.

My dear friend was very satisfied with this answer.

 

 

沒有留言:

張貼留言