2008年10月4日 星期六

What It Takes to Be a Good Doctor

Last night, before I went to sleep, I read an article in Reader's Digest (Oct. 2008).  Its title is  "My Unexpected Teacher,"  with the subtitle: Sometimes the best thing a doctor can do is to listen.  It's a true story about the encounter of the writer, then a medical student, and a stroke patient in the hospital.  The patient pours out all her problems to the writer, who happens to visit her to gather data for his thesis. While the patient shares her difficulties and sufferings, the writer keeps quiet and listens attentively to the patient for about 20 minutes, with the patient's hand in his. The writer concluded in the last paragraph:


"Ms. A taught me one of the most important lessons a doctor can learn. sometimes patients do not need expensive medicine or state-of-the art-technology. They just need someone with the patience and willingness to lend an ear and spare a little of their time. For me, that is one of the best thigns a doctor can do for a patient."


I can't agree more.

沒有留言:

張貼留言