2008年10月8日 星期三

Enthusiasm


Yesterday when we came to the word "spark" in Unit 3, I told the students that without a spark of enthusiasm, one couldn't learn English well.  Then I mentioned a former student who is a junior at NTU now.  I told them about the passion she showed in learning English. 



Her then English teacher once told me that whenever she was chatting with the students in class, the student would take out the New York Times and started to read it with the aid of her electronic dictionary.  I once thought the student had been to the US or the great Britain because she could speak English very fluently even when she was just in her first year of high school, when we met two hours every week at the Advanced English Class.  But she hadn't.  She told me she just practiced speaking English by talking to herself.  When she was waiting for the bus, she would describe to herself in English what she saw.  When she was on the bus and overheard some people chatting, she would translate their conversation into English. 


At this point, the students laughed.  I know they might have thought she was a little crazy.  However, isn't it true that to be skilled in something, one needs a spark of "divine madness," as a great leader does?

沒有留言:

張貼留言