2008年10月16日 星期四

If

We were reviewing if-clauses today, which seem very complicated to students.  However, there is only one principle to follow:



Real or Unreal:



    If it is a fact, then say it as a fact; that is, use the present tense when it happens at present, use the past tense when it happened in the past, and so on.



    If it is unreal, then use the subjunctive; that is, as mentioned in Practical English Usage, "use the past tenses and would to 'distract' our language from reality." 



In order to let the students "feel" the differences among different if-clauses, I presented the song "If." 



If



Bread



 



If a picture paints a thousand words,
Then why can't I paint you?
The words will never show



The you I've come to know.
If a face could launch a thousand ships,
Then where am I to go?
There's no one home but you,
You're all that's left me to.
And when my love for life is running dry,

You come and pour yourself on me.

If a man could be two places at one time,
I'd be with you,
Tomorrow and today,





Beside you all the way.
If the world should stop revolving,



Spinning slowly down to die,
I'd spend the end with you.
And when the world was through,
Then one by one the stars would all go out,

Then you and I would simply fly away.



In this song there are quite a few if-clauses, each with a different function: the real present, the real past/present, the unreal present, and the unlikely future. 



The students in Classes 313 and 310 seemed to like this song very much.  It was a pity that we didn't have time to sing it together.  Hmm, I have to find time for them to sing it at least once.  It's such a beautiful song.  If they think about how the song writer used the tenses, they might have a better understanding of the if-clause.



Click the following URL, and you can listen to the song sung by Bread:



http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=0hSydUKfG5U



 



Or just click on the following video, sit back, and enjoy the beautiful song.










沒有留言:

張貼留言