2016年1月6日 星期三

A Dilemma

The dean of academic affairs at NHSH, my former school, asked me if I could take over two senior classes as a substitute teacher next semester. My heart is going for the request, but my mind is trying hard to hold it back. The reason I retired was to spend more time with my family, including my mother and mother-in-law. Now, my sister-in-law is seriously ill. Though I don't need to take care of her, I help her from time to time. Which is more important, my families or the students I don't know?

Around a month ago, a good friend and also NHSH colleague sent me a LINE message:

"As your friend, I don't think it is a good idea for you to take over two classes for the whole semester. You're too dedicated. It will mean more than a full-time job."

This evening, a college friend, who learned about my situation at the class reunion two weeks ago, advised me on the phone not to go back to teach. "After all," she said, "you have to take care of so many things. Going back to teach will make your days more hectic, and thus harm your health. There are so many other interesting things in life waiting for you to explore."

Now, to go back or not to? That is the question.

沒有留言:

張貼留言