2007年12月23日 星期日

Martin Luther King's famous speech: I Have a Dream -- Video

We are moving on to the lesson "I Have a Dream." This is a lesson all the three commonly-used high school English textbooks include. Thanks to the Internet, now we have a very easy access to the speech in the video.


http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm


The part we read in our textbook starts at 12:05 and ends at 17:20. At this website, the complete speech text is given below the video.


 


The video recorded the whole speech. When I heard the words, "Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation." and "But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free.... In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check.... America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds...." I, again, felt my eyes hot with tears. I felt sympathy for those black people before they were really treated equally. I was deeply moved by King's great dream.


King was really good at using metaphors. The speech itself is a literary masterpiece, worth reading and listening to over and over again. Only a man with a great mind and a great heart can give such an impassioned speech.

沒有留言:

張貼留言