2007年12月10日 星期一

How to get students to read?

Today's United Daily News reported that some scholars attribute the good math ability of our country's students to cram school and they worry that students spent so much time studying in cram school and preparing for tests that they don't have time to read. I agree with them.




I have always been wanting to encourage my students to read English novels for pleasure; however, weighed down by schoolwork, the students wouldn't do it. I understand so I haven't forced them. Still, I feel it a great pity.


I remember three years ago when I was teaching the advanced English class, I had the students read E. B. White's The Trumpet of the Swan, starting at the last half of the first semeter. The students were all freshmen. Every week I assigned them one or two chapters. They will read at home with the help of the study guide. Then in class we'll discuss the story, based on the study guide, plus some more questions. I enjoyed it a lot and always wish I could do it in normal classes.


I believe that only through reading can students get a natural sense of the English language.

沒有留言:

張貼留言