2008年3月21日 星期五

Amazing!

This morning, Sze-heng (鄭思恆) came to me and asked if I could give her MacArthur's speech that I mentioned in class yesterday. Her request amazed me.



In yesterday's class, we were talking about memorble speeches, a warm-up activity for Lesson 8: The Gettysburg Address: A Speech That Will Live Forever. I asked the students about the most impressive speeches they had read or listened to. Of course, they mentioned I Have a Dream. Then I told them some famous speeches. Among them are MacArthur's farewell speech, from which comes the famous sentence, "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away," and JFK's inaugural address, from which the sentence "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for yoru country" is very often quoted.

I didn't expect that any student would come to ask for any speech to read becuase they are so busy rpeparing for the entrance exam. But Sze-heng came this morning. I immediately found the speech from the net and printed it out for her.

What was more amazing was that Sze-heng, after getting the speech, asked Yu-shu(謝雨書), who was standing beside her, if she wnated to read it too. I heard Sze-heng say if Yu-shu wanted to read it, she would give her the copy right after she read it. Then I gave Yu-shu another copy. In fact, I had printed out two copies in case someone else would like to read it. I made fun of Sze-heng by tellign her, "How can I favor you and ignore her?" They both laughed and Sze-heng told me that we could have saved paper if only one copy had been printed out and circulated.

I believe that Sze-heng must have received a very good family education. Her parents should feel very happy to have such a daughter as her.

沒有留言:

張貼留言