2008年3月26日 星期三

316 compositions for Meow-meow 19

The following are four compositions by students in Class 316. In fact, there are many good pieces of writing this time.


The students were asked to write a letter to someone who has a great influence on them. In the first paragraph they had to write about the influence. In the second paragraph they wrote what they wanted to say to the person.


The format presented here is a little different from the original. In the original the date and close/signature is on the right; besides, the first line of each paragraph is indented.













March 21, 2008


Dear Dad,


I will never forget what you told me ten years ago. When I was in primary school, once I did awfully badly on my exam and I was so depressed that I didn’t want to study anymore. Instead of reproaching me, however, you encouraged and comforted me by saying that all men were fallible and the most important thing was to find my weak point and to improve it instead of giving up. From then on, I regained my courage.


As a high school student, I lead a stressful life. When I am fed up with studying, the sentence you told me always comes back to me—I should not give up. Now the UEE is approaching, I will do my best to achieve my goal. I hope you can take pride in me this September.




Love,


Yi-jen




(143 words) (15)














Mar. 21, 2008


Dear Judy,


Since we attended senior high school, we have become close friends. Although we are not in the same class no, we still have intimate friendship. Now and then when I am in a bad mood, I recall your smile, laughter, and optimism. By doing that, I forget all the misery and stop being melancholy. Because of you, when I have difficulties, I still have courage and power to face them and keep going.


I am grateful to you for being one of my good fiends. I really have had a wonderful memory with you. Now I have a wide circle of friends, but sometimes I still cannot help remembering the good old days I spent with you. It is really a perfect thing for me to have such a good friend as you.




Yours,


Henny




(140 words) (15)














Mar. 24, 2008


Dear Steve Jobs,


I am a high school student in
Taiwan
. After reading your Stanford address “You’ve Got to Find What You Love,” I regained my courage to strive for what I wanted. Being a 12th grader and studying hard to attend an excellent university, I was dwelling on the intersection between living up to my parents’ expectations and following my heart to major in what I desired to learn. Now, I will no longer let others’ opinions override my own inner voice. Besides, I will always follow your words, “Stay hungry. Stay foolish,” and keep looking for what I love.


With this letter, I also want to show my great respect for your contributing to the field of technology and producing many fantastic films like Joy Story, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, etc. I am looking forward to your next production, and, above all, thank you for giving me so much courage to follow my heart and intuition.




Sincerely yours,


Annie Huang




(167 words) (15-1; one point was taken off because in the original composition, Annie forgot to put the date and the close/signature.)














March 24, 2008


Dear Mr. Hemingway,


Since I read your masterpiece, “True Nobility,” I have become your book fan. Those beautiful lines you wrote in the article indeed inspire me a lot. As a senior in high school, I constantly need to face a lot of difficulties and challenges. Whenever I feel down, I reread those inspiring words, which always gives me courage and confidence.


Among the numerous famous lines in your article, there is one sentence touching me deeply. It says, “The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self.” Every time I fail in exams or other tasks, those words come back to me and soothe my pain. I write you this letter, because I want to thank you for writing such a great work (for all your readers, me included.) Lastly, I would like again to show you my gratitude and respect.



Truly yours,


Miranda



(150 words) (15)






沒有留言:

張貼留言